• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

Installing CerberusX for the first time in Lubuntu 18.04, 32 bits version. Help!

rickychus

Hello,
I am writing to consult you, I am thinking about using Cerberus X in linux "Lubuntu" 18.04 32bits... I have downloaded it, but I can not start the IDE. Is the version that is available to download for 32 bits? After decompressing it, do you have to do something else to put it into operation?
Thank you!

After unpacking, run the 'file' command in a terminal in that directory eg 'file Cerberus' and I think you'll see that it's a 64 bit binary.

EDIT: If you can use it on a 64 bit system, you may need to set its permissions as an executable.

Is the version that is available to download for 32 bits?
The Cerberus builds are 64 bit only for Linux and come with the required files to run the IDE as there is no guarantee that the distribution will have them as a download from the repository, so you will need a 64 bit Linux operating system to run it.

You could try to rebuild the Cerberus from the source files. As Lubuntu is just Ubuntu with a different window manager the packages should be the same.

Note that the build instructions in the src directory are out of date as the package names have changed.
Open a command line terminal and use the commands below to install the required dependencies.

Unbuntu 18.04/Ubuntu 19.04 (packages should be the same for Linux Mint 18/19)
Cerberus standard development files for making applications
sudo apt-get install g++ libxcursor-dev libxrandr-dev libxinerama-dev libxi-dev libopenal-dev libglu1-mesa-dev

Cerberus IDE development files for Ubuntu 18.04/Linux Mint 18
sudo apt-get install qtmultimedia5-dev qt5-default qtwebengine5-dev

NOTE: The GCC compilers with later versions of Linux create Position Independent Executable's. There is a known issue with launching these types of application via the file browsers. When deploying your creation, you would normally make a desktop launch file to the freedesktop specifications and use a set up script or the tools to mage a package for installation.

You can avoid this in most cases by passing the -no-pie option to the back-end compiler.
For GLFW targets add #GLFW_GCC_LD_OPTS+="-no-pie" to the top of the main source file.

For C++ Tool add #CC_OPTS+="-no-pie" to the top of the main source file.

So, open the file Cerberus/src/launcher/launcher.cxs and add at the top #CC_OPTS+="-no-pie" and save.

If using the pre-built downloads delete the following files and folders:
lib
libexec
plugins
resources
translations
qt.conf

You can then build the full Cerberus by changing directory via the command line into Cerberus/src and running ./rebuildall.sh

Hello again,
Thank you very much for the quick response and for the time you spent responding.
I'm a teacher at a school, and we have a lot of old Netbooks with only 1GB of RAM. The only OS that runs decently is "Lubuntu" 32bits. I will try to rebuild Cerberus X in Linux 32bits when I have some time. I will also try to install Linux 64bits and see how it runs on those computers.
I knew of the existence of this language Cerberus X for some time, and I thought to use it to build some classes for the students of my school who decide to follow computer studies. There is nothing better to motivate young people than to make a video game.
I will consult or comment on the progress I have.
Thanks for everything.
R.-
PD: Sorry for my English, it's the Google translator who does almost all the work :).

we have a lot of old Netbooks with only 1GB of RAM.
You may have issue. This could be:
  • Hardware.
    • Linux is known to have issues with a number of graphics hardware implementations. If these are old machines, then they may only have the MESA drivers available to them and even they may not support old hardware. To get the best out of a Linux system you will need graphics hardware acceleration and propriety hardware drivers.
    • There is also the issue of connecting to a network, which is required to install additional packages. This shouldn't be a problem with hardwired connections, but wireless could be a bit of a issue. You can get round the problem by burning off a few DVD's of the repositories. This guide shows how (note the I have not checked this out).
  • For 64 bit to work the CPU need's to be at least the equivalent to a later Intel Pentium 4 (Prescott) or a Intel Core2 and at least 2 GB of ram.
There are a number of ways in which to check the hardware capabilities once Linux is installed.
The use of:
lspci -vnn
sudo lshw
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
modinfo modual_file_name

There should be plenty of information on the internet on how to use the above for different hardware types.

As it sounds that there are a few machines to set up, it may be worth looking at a thin client, server networking setup as long as the machines support PXE.

Last edited:
OK I thought I would be nice and knock up a Linux 32 bit build of Cerberus 2018-12-30.
Caveat: There is an experimental desktop entry file and setup script within. It will make changes only to a users home directory to set up a desktop icon, menu entry and file and icon associations. As long as the user doesn't go messing around in the hidden .local directory or modify the setup script, it should work as intended. The script is not meant to be run as super user.

Hello,
thank you! You are very kind!
I tell you that everything worked very well. I've been busy but I've made time to experiment with the old equipment I mentioned. These behave very well and CerberusX runs decently, HTML5 is slower than the desktop version, but both perform great.
Cerberus is really optimized for low performance PCs.
I leave the specifications of the equipment with which I have been doing the tests, in case someone finds the information useful.

Netbooks (1024x600 screen, Intel N2100 atom CPU 1/2 core/thread, 1gb RAM, VGA intel GMA 3600, Linux Lubuntu 32bit 18.04 LTS)

Well, as far as my part is concerned, a lot of study remains pending (CerberuX, Linux and life :) ).
CerberusX is a great tool for study, learning and development. I hope more people know about its existence and make it known.
I will be visiting you through the forum very often.
R.-

Back
Top Bottom